Visit Tidelands exhibit area and view live animals native to our Georgia coast!
Live animal exhibits include a young loggerhead sea turtle, crabs, baby alligators, freshwater turtles, tortoises, snakes, marine fish, and more!
Click on a Tidelands exhibit area below for pictures and a brief description.
Download an Adopt- An- Animal form to adopt your favorite Tidelands' critter.
Our main Saltwater Exhibit area features:
- Touch tanks with horseshoe crabs, hermit crabs, sea anemones and knobbed whelks.
- Aquariums with sea stars, stone crabs, tiny shrimp, huge red drumfish and more!
- Loggerhead sea turtle tank and nest exhibit.
- Seashell displays identifying island beach finds
- Diamondback terrapin tank -- see our only salt-marsh turtle!
- Salt marsh display illustrating the roles of many marsh creatures.
- Shrimp trawl exhibit including shrimp aquariums, shrimp trawl model with TEDs, and an interactive multimedia kiosk.
Our Reptile & Birding Display area features:
- Gopher tortoises -- Georgia's State Reptile!
- Common Snakes of Georgia
- Baby American Alligators
- Box, Softshell, and slider Turtles
- "Birders' Corner" with local bird sighting news, photos, and an interactive computer kiosk to ID our beautiful coastal birds!
Our Outdoor Exhibit area and annex building features:
- Shark/Fish exhibit
- Manatee model and mural display
- Nature trail through the maritime forest
- Outdoor gopher tortoise habitat with burrowing and grazing areas
- Birding area (a Jekyll Birding Hot Spot) where Painted buntings regularly visit our feeders in season!! Also, look for marsh rabbits, bluebirds, great-crested flycatchers, and chickadees nesting nearby.
- Please check out Lydia Thompson’s Birding Blog for more bird info!
Admission Cost for Tidelands exhibit area:
$3.00 per person (Ages 2 and under – no charge. )
Tidelands exhibit area hours:
Monday- Friday: 9:00am- 4:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am- 2:00pm
Tidelands Gift (and Ice Cream) Shop
Our Tidelands gift shop is open during regular exhibit hours. Look for your favorite coastal animals among our selection of T-shirts or collection of stuffed animals. Nature books, ID cards, notecards, posters and frozen treats are available as well. We gladly accept cash, personal check, or traveler's cheque - no credit or debit cards.